The latest release of the LPCXpresso IDE is a major update to NXP's MCU tools ecosystem (resulting from NXP's acquisition of Code Red Technologies, the makers of Red Suite). The popular Free Edition has been enhanced to include many features previously only available in the premium Red Suite product, including C++ support, and its download limit has been doubled to 256kb. The Pro Edition of LPCXpresso gives developers unlimited code size downloads and one year of email-based support provided directly by NXP engineers.
The LPCXpresso IDE is a highly integrated software development environment for NXP's LPC microcontrollers and includes all the tools necessary to develop high-quality software solutions in a timely and cost effective fashion. LPCXpresso is based on Eclipse and has many enhancements to simplify development with NXP LPC microcontrollers. It also features the industry-standard GNU toolchain, with a choice of a proprietary optimized C library or the standard Newlib library. The LPCXpresso IDE can build an executable of any size with full code optimization.
Designed for simplicity and ease of use, the LPCXpresso IDE provides software engineers a quick and easy way to develop their applications.
All editions of LPCXpresso IDE include the following features:
- Complete C/C++ integrated development environment
- Eclipse-based IDE with many ease-of-use enhancements
- The IDE can be further enhanced with many Eclipse plugins
- CVS source control built in; Git, Subversion, TFS, and others are available for download
- Command-line tools included for integration into build, test, and manufacturing systems
- Industry-standard GNU toolchain, including
- C and C++ compilers, assembler, and linker
- Converters for SREC, HEX, and binary
- Fully featured debugger supporting JTAG and SWD
- Built-in flash programming
- High-level and instruction-level debug
- Views of CPU registers and on-chip peripherals
- Support for multiple devices on JTAG scan-chain
- Library support
- Redlib: a small-footprint embedded C library
- Newlib: a complete C and C++ library
- Cortex Microcontroller Software Interface Standard (CMSIS) libraries and source code
- Full support for LPCOpen libraries
- Device-specific support for NXP's ARM-based MCUs (including Cortex-M, ARM7, and ARM9 based parts)
- Linker scripts automatically generated for correct placement of code and data into flash and RAM
- Startup code and device initialization provided
- No assembler required with Cortex-M based MCUs
- Red Trace
- Red Trace enables instruction-level debugging via Embedded Trace Buffer (ETB) or Micro Trace Buffer (MTB)
- Red State state machine designer and code generator
- Graphically design your state machines
- Generates standard C code
- Configures NXP State Configurable Timer (SCT) as well as supporting software state machines
The LPCXpresso Pro Edition is for those developers who want to work with larger code sizes or to get expert support directly from NXP engineers.
The Pro Edition removes all code size limits when debugging your application. In addition to the free Forum-based support provided with the Free Edition, Pro Edition includes one year of email-based support, obtained directly from NXP Engineers.
Upgrading is easy, with no additional downloads required. Just buy the Pro license and activate it within your installed LPCXpresso IDE.
LPCXpresso 7 provides:
- Eclipse ‘Kepler’ release (upgraded from the 'Juno' release)
- includes CDT 8.2.1 (C/C++ Development Tooling)
- GCC v4.8.3 (upgraded from v4.6.2)
- Many optimization improvements
- A new general optimization level, -Og, that generates optimized code while still providing a good debug experience
- Link-time optimization (LTO)
- Support for ARM’s newlib-nano C library, which can significantly reduce code size, especially for C++ applications
- Support for all LPC MCU families, including those recently announced
- Improved and extended New Project Wizards, including support for LPCOpen v2
- Many detail improvements and bug fixes
For the latest release information visit the LPCXpresso IDE latest release
LPCXpresso 7 is a free upgrade for all LPCXpresso 6 users.
The following new functionality is available in the LPCXpresso IDE 6 compared to previous releases (v5.x and earlier).
- The Free Edition now supports code sizes of up to 256Kb after activation, rather than 128Kb. This can be upgraded to unlimited code size by purchasing a Pro Edition license, which also provides entitlement to email-based support.
- The creation of C++ application and library projects is now supported, as well as C projects.
- Simultaneous multi-core debug is provided for dual-core systems, such as the LPC4300 family, when connected via LPC-Link2. This allows both cores in a dual-core system to be debugged simultaneously within a single IDE instance.
- Support for LPCOpen v2.
- The "Red State" state machine editor and code generator now supports software state machines, as well as state machines for the State Configurable Timer (SCT) peripheral.
- The full range of NXP's ARM-based 'LPC' range of Microcontrollers (MCUs) are now supported, including ARM7, ARM9, and Cortex-M based devices.
- There is support for additional debug probes.
- LPC-Link2 debug probes now give support for all NXP LPC Cortex-M based microcontrollers.
- CMSIS-DAP enabled debug probes such as LPC800-MAX are supported.